Sunday, April 11, 2010

Muchas gracias, Ryanair!



I am currently very fortunate and blessed to have the opportunity to travel around Europe quite a lot. This was one of my primary reasons for coming to live in Spain and I hope I am making the most of this opportunity! In my next blog, I will write about my last trip as it's impossible to bactrack an entire year of adventures. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks to cheap airtravel (muchas gracias, Ryanair!),the world has become more accessible and places I never knew existed can be visited for cheaper than a train ticket from here to Barcelona or a tank of fuel. Once you've got the hang of looking for good deals, you'll be amazed at what's on offer out there. And no, you don't have to be a millionaire to do it. You can travel on a shoe string budget, like me, and have truly authentic experiences. I think it's far more fun that way than to travel 5 star.

Not only are there cheap airlines offering flights all over Europe, Girona airport also happens to be about 30 minutes drive from my house. From here, you can fly to over 80 destinations. Great!

As always, the main problem is time! Because I work full time during the week, I'm only left with weekends and public holidays. However, as I've learnt, there is PLENTY you can do over a weekend and it's best to make the most of every minute! I also go exploring this beautiful region which I live in as there is so much to do and see right here on my doorstep. Fortunately too, being a teacher, I have a nice long summer to look forward to, when I can organise my own hours of work to fit around travel time. Can't wait!

However, sometimes, like this weekend, a bit of lazy home-time is required. This weekend, I've been enjoying the beautiful sunny weather, sitting outside reading "The girl with the dragon tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. I've mowed the lawn, waged war on weeds and baked brownies. We watched Barca beat Madrid and I even managed to watch some rugby on TV (now that's as rare as hen's teeth!)

As with everything in life, a bit of balance if required. A daily routine to keep you purposeful and focused, relaxation time at home to keep you sane and travels to keep your spirit alive. Most importantly, friends and family to share it all with.

No comments:

Post a Comment